Monday, February 4, 2008

The joy of sick children

Yesterday while the rest of America was settling in to watch the Superbowl kickoff, I was driving the children through a blizzard to the prompt care clinic. Kaylin had been whining about her ears hurting all day and then Logan woke from a (YIKES) nap SCREAMING about his ears. So off to the doc we went...

I'm a bit of a germophobe when it comes to doctor's offices. There were two people in the waiting room, both sniffing and hacking and making me cringe with their germy disgustingness. The kids (who spent the day lying around in agony) tore around the waiting room, touching every single thing and then putting their hands in their mouths (or each others' mouths) and rubbing their eyes. UGH!!!

We waited over an hour to find out that Logan has a double ear infection and Kaylin has an unspecified minor virus and NO ear infection!!! (I think the doctor thought I was NUTS for being soooo excited that Kaylin did NOT have an ear infection for the first time ever!) Ironically, Logan was very upset about going to the doctor and then behaved very well and Kaylin was excited about going and then forced me to simultaneously hold her down and pry her mouth open for a strep test. She fought long and hard against that two second swabbing. As Kaylin continued to bawl and the doc ran out of the room to run the test, Logan happily said "I liked that." Liked what? "I liked watching the doctor do that to Kaylin." We both started laughing our heads off and even Kaylin (eventually) found it funny and joined the laughter.

We slowly made our way to the pharmacy and then home and were all in bed asleep by 8pm. I got up early this morning and went for a "run" at the Riverplex and to WalMart for groceries. I got home a little after 7am and both kids were still sleeping. Dangit!!! They were both pitiful when they woke up so I kept them home on my beloved Monday. Sigh. Well, it's a little after 1 and they both seem much better. Hopefully they'll be well enough for school tomorrow!

No comments: