Monday, July 14, 2008

shoes, double ugh!!

I needed a new pair of shoes for work. Just a pair of tennis shoes that will be worn in the mud and used to push manure onto a shovel. Shoes that will get soaking wet almost daily. I have a great pair of waterproof Redwing boots, but they are SOOOOOO hot in the summer. So I did the obvious thing and went to WalMart. They had plenty of wide-width shoes, but none that fit my feet. I then went to Shoe Carnival. I must have tried on 20 pairs of wide New Balance and Reeboks but none of them fit my fat feet. I tried Target and Kohls. Nothing. I went to a specialty store at the mall and the guy looked at me like I was NUTS. I HATE shopping for clothes and shoes! This was incredibly discouraging.

Today I went to Moser's Shoes. They specialize in quality brands with different widths. They had the upper line of New Balance athletic shoes. Ugh. I was HOPING they'd have some in the $40-$50 range, but nuh-uh. The salesman measured my foot and disappeared for a really long time. He brought back the only three pairs in the store in my size. Two of them fit. He left me to decide while he answered the phone. I thought about it and decided to just buy them both.

Why on earth are my feet suddenly so wide??? Ever since my pregnancy with Kaylin, I've had a hard time fitting into shoes, but I've at least been able to buy the wide ones at regular stores. I can't even fit into my normal size of Crocs anymore. I have to size up!

So tomorrow I will shovel manure in a brand new pair of $100 athletic shoes. Stupid fat feet!

1 comment:

Kathy Schrenk said...

Dude, I totally sympathize about wide feet! I have always had them, though, and I didn't really have any change in my size with pregnancies. But I started having some foot problems, so the podiatrist said I had to start wearing real shoes most of the time (not flip flops) that fit me and Superfeet, which aren't cheap either. I had been wearing cycling sandals that clip into my pedals (I do A LOT of riding). So I went looking for proper cycling shoes, and I found out that NO ONE makes wide cycling shoes for women, and only the high-end mens shoes come in wide widths. So I ended up buying a pair of mens cycling shoes for $250!!! Yeah, it sucks having wide feet.