Sunday, September 28, 2008

Another 5K completed, Wii!

Yesterday I accomplished one of my 40 before 40 goals and ran the Zoo Run Run 5K. It was a pretty horrible race for this weenie novice, with many dreadful hills and a much larger and more skilled range of participants than the other, much easier race I ran back in May. The course included a run through the zoo's new Africa! exhibit, up and around the towering boardwalk. By the time I made it to the top of the boardwalk on my second lap I was fairly convinced I was going to christen the new giraffe yard with my vomit. I held it in and managed to finish without walking (or puking.) I had to work immediately after finishing the race and felt pretty queasy the first 30 minutes or so. I'm glad I did it and I'm even more glad it's over. I don't know if I'll continue running or not. We'll see...

---

I got Gene a new video game for his birthday that has renewed the kids' interest in the Wii. I think it's called Outdoor Challenge or something, but it came with a big floor mat that acts as the controller so they can run and jump to play the games. Kaylin and Logan love it so much I don't know if Gene's even gotten to try it. They get all sweaty playing so I suppose it beats sitting at the computer.

Kaylin's favorite thing about the Wii has always been creating Miis. (You can create a video game "cartoon" character that looks like you and use it to play many games.) She downloaded a Mii site where others share their creations. Wow! If you haven't checked this out, it's hilarious! People made Miis that look exactly like Barack Obama, Mr. Spock, Peter Griffin from Family Guy and tons of others. It's great.

I also downloaded Punch Out! onto the Wii. I've only played one game so far, but it is sooo fun. I finally remembered the secret to beating King Hippo but he knocked me out before I could use it. King Hippo's going down today! I can't believe it was only five bucks!

No comments: