Sunday, October 7, 2012

No carp. Boo.

It's been a tough week filled with major and minor disappointments for the entire family.  Wednesday morning I thought it was really odd that Willow the cat didn't show up for breakfast.  Kaylin and I were rushing out the door when I fed the pets so I didn't have much time to think about it, but usually she shows up at feeding time.  I had a busy day at work, followed by a meeting and then putting away animals late following a special event.  I didn't get home until 7:30 and Gene and Logan walked right out to my car to let me know that Willow was dead.  I'm guessing maybe she was hit by a car, but she didn't have any obvious signs of being hit and she already smelled bad enough that I didn't want to mess with her too much.  Willow did have some health issues, so I'm not sure what happened.  I didn't have her necropsied.  She was a great little cat and we all miss her :(

I'm sort of freaking out about everything I need to accomplish before my foot surgery in less than two weeks.  I've got mental (and paper) checklists for everything I need and want to do at work, home, for the kids, for the pets, for the doctor, etc.  Friday was my appointment with my regular doctor for a pre-surgical physical and bloodwork.  I found his new office and found that after being on the phone for at least 15 minutes, my appointment was never entered into the computer.  There was no sign that my ridiculous scheduling call had ever been made.  The lady at the front desk was surprised I even would have been scheduled because my doctor likes to do these appointments a week or less before surgery.  She worked me in for next Friday...  I had been all gung-ho about accomplishing all kinds of things on Friday, but that kind of zapped my spirit.  My foot was really hurting so I just went home for a while.  I get a lot done on Friday, though.  I found a 6 week supply of food for Paul the snake, washed (and put away!) four loads of laundry, got groceries, paid bills and did lots of cleaning.

Saturday morning, everyone was REALLY looking forward to our crossbow carp fishing trip.  Logan and I were so excited we barely slept.  We went to run some errands to kill time before our trip.  We stopped at Big Hollow Animal Hospital to look at kittens.  All were incredibly cute, but none were "the one" we were looking for.  We went to Moser's where I bought the ugliest pair of comfortable $130 walking shoes ever.  We then got a phone call from Kaylin to let us know that the fishing trip had been canceled due to the cool temperatures.  BUMMER!!!  We went birding at Forest Park Nature Center to ease our sorrows.  We did a short hike because my foot was really bothering me, but we saw lots of birds and enjoyed the beautiful day.  I also found the perfect bird feeder I've been looking for at their store, so that was nice.

I had been planning to take Kaylin on the Spoon River Drive next Saturday.  She loves craft shows and I figure that's the ultimate craft show.  Well, now we'll be carp fishing.  I hope...  I could have taken her yesterday, but my foot was bothering me so much I just couldn't deal.  Well, looking back on the weekend, not much worked out as planned, but I actually got a whole lot of work done and even had some fun.  I have a long work day today because I signed up to work late for a special event, but I have tomorrow off for Columbus Day with the kids.  They want to continue our Columbus Day tradition of Tanner's Orchard followed by a trip to Bradford.  Sounds like an adventure!

No comments: