Friday, October 19, 2012

Eeek!

This is just a post of whining because it's 4:30am, I'm awake for the day, I'm hungry and thirsty and I have to fast until after my surgery.  My surgery got moved from 10 to noon.  Ugh!  I'm terrible at not eating, but not DRINKING anything???  Gene should probably go hide somewhere this morning!  Not only will I be starving and thirsty AND nervous about surgery, the caffeine withdrawal will probably push me over the edge :)

I made the completely idiotic decision to watch youtube videos of my surgery.  That was quite possibly one of the most stupid things I've done in my entire life.  I'm not squeamish.  I watched and aided in hundreds of animal surgeries in my time at the vet's office.  I've sewn up dozens of dogs and cats following necropsy.  I've had the contents of cysts pop in my face.  I have never had any issue watching any surgery videos online or on television.  I was curious and didn't think it would be a big deal.  Until I saw the "pole" being roughly shoved through the entire width of the patient's heel...  And then later that day when my doctor was gently explaining the surgery and I was able to accurately visualize it? I wanted to throw up! So yeah, I don't care who you are or what you do for a living- wait until AFTER your surgery to watch the video! Seriously. (Not the pole, NOT THE POLE!!!!)

Whelp, I got nothin'.  My last few days of work were pretty good.  We did 16 week tiger cub vet physicals and the two biggest cubs each weighed 37 pounds!  They are growing so fast and are quite rambunctious.  I'm sad that I won't get to see them for at least 2 weeks.  They are still ridiculously adorable.  My cousin Patrick is on leave from the Navy and he came to the zoo yesterday!  That lucky dog just got stationed for 3 years at Pearl Harbor.  I may have to figure out a way to go visit.  And yeah, I'm completely ignorant of military terminology so I probably messed up something in those sentences.  Feel free to correct me.

Last night was Taste of Lindbergh at Kaylin's school.  The fundraiser dinners at the schools usually have terrible food, but this one is great!  We had McAllister's baked potato bar, orange chicken from Hy-Vee, meatballs from PV II, steak kabobs from Alexander's, ribs from Famous Dave's and frozen custard from Culver's.  We spent $20 on tickets, all 4 of us were stuffed and we even had three tickets left to grab some cookies to take home.  They also have a mini carnival and huge silent auction.  It was fun!

I suppose I should spend the next 6 hours doing something productive since I will have 5 days I can't move from this chair.  Good times, good times.

No comments: