Saturday, January 12, 2008

mmmm, veggies

Coinciding with the new year and not really a New Year's Resolution, I started a new diet. I am trying to control blood sugar and appetite (and just eat better,) but if I lose a few pounds in the process I won't complain.

I'm probably the hungriest person I know. I'm seemingly always STARVING. I also tend to have some blood sugar issues (especially at work) where I get the shakes and the sweats and if I don't eat IMMEDIATELY I feel faint and sick. I then have a huge energy crash after I eat and have to drag myself around for an hour. Anyway, I've been reading about glycemic index and bad carbs and good carbs, blah, blah, blah, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I was having a difficult time with my online research because, well, it was just so boring...

On New Year's Day Gene and I were watching some Discovery Channel show about the world's fattest man and what he was doing to lose weight. He was on the verge of having very dangerous bariatric surgery when a doctor stepped in and talked him into trying a gimmicky American diet (he's Mexican.) I started laughing about "The Zone" and how I was completely positive it would help him lose 1000 pounds. Riiiight. Then I started listening about the diet (yes, this show was essentially an hour-long infomercial) and I got suckered in.

The diet is all about balancing carbs, proteins and fat. It focuses on replacing bad carbs (bread, potatoes and candy) with good carbs (veggies and fruit.) It also is all about controlling blood sugar and appetite by eating the right foods in the right combinations at the right times. Wow. Exactly what I was looking for. The best part about the diet is that you can't ruin it by cheating. If you go out to eat or to a party, you just resume the diet at your next meal and get the same benefits.

I bought a Zone book, read it and decided to give the diet a shot. My primary concern was how it would affect my IBS (irritable bowel.) I'd always been told to eat lots and lots of whole grains and try to get as much whole grain fiber as possible. I knew I'd be getting lots of fruit and veggie fiber, but WHOLE GRAIN FIBER was driven into my head. I was worried I'd be in agonizing pain! I was also worried about all the veggies because in the past veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower caused me more pain and diarrhea than a greasy burger and fries!

I started the diet the evening of January 2nd. The next day at work I was a little disappointed I was still hungry BEFORE break time and then again before lunch time. However, I just felt a little hungry, I wasn't sweating and shaking and chowing on everything in sight to relieve my hunger. I also had tons of energy after lunch. I continued the diet. The next night I realized the most exciting benefit of the diet- my irritable bowel pain was GONE. For the first time in 8 or 9 years I had NO abdominal pain!

I've only been on the diet for 10 days, but I haven't had any "blood sugar attacks." The only time I've had any IBS pain was the day Gene and I went to Ikea I ate a Philly steak sandwich and a few fries. I paid for that :) Otherwise, I've had NO issues with all the veggies! I'm far less bloated and gassy than I was when I was eating whole grains. I'm definitely convinced that eating mega-amounts of fruits and veggies and cutting out the grains works for me!!! I eat egg white omelettes for breakfast, soy hot dogs for lunch and fish for dinner (not exclusively, that's just an example.) I eat tons of fruits and veggies at all three meals, plus snacks, and eat almonds and cashews for my fat when I don't get enough from cheese or olive oil.

I haven't weighed myself, so I have no idea if I've lost any weight. I certainly haven't lost 10 pounds in 10 days or anything noticeable. I imagine I WILL lose some weight eventually because I can't possibly be consuming as many calories as before. Whatever. I love how I FEEL on this diet! I plan to keep it up. Oh, and I can cross off another of my 40 before 40 goals of eating the food pyramid daily requirement of fruits and veggies. Goal met and EXCEEDED!

No comments: