Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Doofus Dog

It's been a bit of a crazy week and weekend with lots of work and baseball.  I spent most of my free weekend time either doing stuff for work or else researching stuff for our upcoming South Dakota trip.  I'm definitely ready for vacation!

Most nights I wake up WIDE AWAKE around 1:30 or 2am.  I come out the the living room to my recliner and get on my computer and/or read until I hopefully fall back asleep until 4 or 5am when I get up for the day.  Scout is my little shadow and he comes with me.  Normally, he sleeps in bed and then either sleeps with me in the chair or else somewhere on the floor around the chair.  Occasionally, though, he's a total pain and goes around and barks at the rats and chases the cats and finds things to chew up.

One night last week I had moved from bed to chair around midnight.  By 1:30 I was reclined and had just dozed off when I heard Scout crying underneath my chair.  Somehow, crazy dog had snooped and sniffed under my chair (something a dog with REAL legs could never, ever do!) and got his head stuck between two bars.  Somehow I had the sense to not put down my footrest or I might have crushed him.  He was stuck, stuck and I screamed for Gene to come help.  Gene does not normally wake up in the middle of the night, but he went into hero mode and found the tools to take apart the chair just enough to free Scout's head.  Scout popped out, shook it off and within approximately less than a second forgot that anything bad had happened and was back to normal.  It was all good!  Gene and I duct taped the bars so it doesn't happen again, because with the minuscule level of trauma on Scout's part, it seemed the odds were against us.  I, on the other hand, was so worked up I didn't sleep the rest of the night.  It's a good thing Scout's so cute...

That was by far the most exciting part of our week.  I did take Kaylin to see Brave.  As far as Disney princess movies go, it was pretty good.  I only fell asleep a few times.  It was a sweet story and Kaylin absolutely loved it.  It was nice to have an independent, smart princess who just wants to be herself, rather than the usual stupid sheep princess who is either saved by or will change her entire life to be with a prince. 

No comments: