Friday, March 2, 2012

Feet

A few weeks ago, I was having pretty bad issues with my left foot. I did some more internet research and found some stuff I'd never tried before. Gene made fun of my snake oil remedies, but I was desperate for some relief. I read that tightness in your calf can cause (or be caused by) foot pain. This site recommended a couple of massage tools that I bought and used. Over my vacation week, I finally worked out the knot in my calf. It has made a HUGE difference in my pain level! I also am using a knobby foot roller massager that has eliminated the knots in my heel. Again, the pain has diminished greatly!

I did also check in with my doctor. He's been telling me forever that working on concrete is the reason my issues never resolve. I told him I had the opportunity to switch "strings" at work to an area I'd be on less concrete. He told me to try it. I didn't want to stop working with my beloved lions, zebras and red river hogs, but when faced with surgery or quitting the job I love, it made sense to give it a try. Also, the area I was planning to move to is the area I worked before the zoo's Africa addition. Many of the animals are the same and it's not like it was any less hard to leave them a few years ago!

This week I started working with tigers, camel, takin, muntjac and Aussie animals. I am LOVING working outside again. I'm sure it helps that the weather this week has been gorgeous, but I always did love working outside. I laughed every year that my heated and air conditioned building with the Africa animals was totally wasted on me because I preferred being outside. I do miss having a toilet in my area, but that's probably my biggest loss. I'm thoroughly enjoying being back working with my "old" animals. I had forgotten how much I loved working with black swans and emus! And not only am I enjoying the animals and being outdoors, my feet have been great! I leave work and I'm not in agonizing pain!

I'm sure a week of time off and the massage tools contributed greatly, but the change in pain level is huge. I imagine it's partly psychological as well, but hey, whatever works! I'm feeling optimistic about my feet for the first time in years. I also start physical therapy today, so hopefully I can get some good help and advice and keep up the improvement.

No comments: