Friday, March 30, 2012

End of March Madness

Today I was released from physical therapy! Actually, I wasn't technically released because if my foot flares up and I need more therapy, it could be an insurance issue. After three years of being told not to walk or run for exercise, I've now been instructed to start walking and especially doing hills or inclines on the treadmill. They will contact me in a few weeks and if I can't handle this kind of exercise, I'll need to get more therapy. I still have a small amount of pain. When I sit for any amount of time my legs and feet get stiff quickly and if I don't remember to stretch before I get up it hurts. However, the difference in my pain levels now and 6 weeks ago is HUGE. I didn't even think it was possible for my feet to feel as good as they do right now. I'm guessing the therapy and switching strings at work were equally helpful. For the first time in forever, I'm feeling optimistic about my feet and about the possibility of getting back into shape and losing weight. I'm excited!

This week was my least favorite time of the school year- parent-teacher conferences. I've had so many bad experiences, I've learned to dread them. Logan's was Thursday night right after work. His teacher is one of those syrupy-sweet gushy types. The first words out of her mouth were "Logan Turner is my favorite boy in the class!" Hahaha, I'm sure if I chose to sit out in the hall I'd hear the same comment to every parent. Anyway, she handed me his report card and he had straight As. He's doing great with everything including reading! When I told her about our concern for his reading one year ago, she laughed and said kids learn when they're ready. Logan's well-behaved and when the class had to use the word "integrity" in a sentence, several kids used Logan as an example. I love this teacher and so does Logan.

Kaylin's conferences were a little more stressful. Same old stuff about organization. The vast majority of her bad grades were homework that she completed, but lost in her locker before she turned it in. Most of her test and quiz scores were As. The teachers who absolutely don't accept late work are frustrated with Kaylin. The ones who do accept late work think she's a joy to have in class. The reading/language arts teacher told me our belief that Kaylin's organization improved so much from 4th to 5th grade was probably an illusion because 5th graders are babied since it's their first time moving between teachers and classrooms. They have next to no homework and little personal responsibility. 6th grade is the "real" beginning of middle school and the kids have homework and a lot more responsibility. Ahh. Makes sense. I have to say I have a lot more respect for the teachers who flat-out don't accept late work and excuses. Might as well teach 'em young that if you don't meet deadlines, you don't get credit for your work.

The kids and I are off work and school the next week. I'm excited because the neighbor kids already have had their break so they won't be over EVERY second of the week. We're going to try to go to St. Louis for a day or two, but every time I think we'll go X day(s) an obligation pops up. Oh well, maybe I'll get some housework done. Or not.

No comments: