Saturday, July 16, 2011

What a week!

My kids have seen the Harry Potter movie and I have not. That will change today! I am going to work it in somewhere around the grocery trip, laundry, haircuts, baseball game, ceramics class, etc.

This week was possibly one of the craziest of my life. It was a roller coaster of potential change and emotion that came out of nowhere and just as suddenly came to an abrupt end. In 4 days time I went from a doo dee dee, ho hum normal existence of home, work and camp to strongly considering a major move, a probable career change, new schools for the kids- an upheaval of my entire world with no warning! It was at once exhilarating and terrifying, overwhelming and exciting, stressful and fun.

At work I waffled. How could I leave these animals and this job I love??? But I could find something that wouldn't be so hard on my feet, a job that wouldn't leave me so physically exhausted at night. But, the animals!!! At home I waffled. We could get out of this house Gene hates and away from the annoying neighbors! We could move somewhere I could have a few chickens and maybe even a pig! But... how can I take the kids from their schools and friends? Hooray! A new adventure! Yikes! A new adventure! Back and forth, back and forth.

In four days' time Gene went from life as usual, to an email, to meetings with his boss, to a preliminary interview, to being denied by HR because he just accepted a promotion earlier this year and has to fulfill a time obligation in his current position. Phew! Sigh. The boss at the other facility told Gene to call him in 18 months. Definitely something to think about!

I guess overall I'm relieved, but disappointed. I've ALWAYS wanted to at least try living somewhere else. However, I love my job and am comfortable and secure here. This would have been a fast transition. It will be nice to have some time to think things through. We never said anything to the kids because we knew there was a good chance HR would deny the transfer. I think Gene feels mostly the same as me- disappointed, but mostly relieved!

No comments: