Friday, June 3, 2011

The neti pot

I have had a sinus headache since Sunday. It was so bad on Tuesday I almost didn't make it through my workday and then called off work on Wednesday and went to the doctor. I didn't have a cold or allergies and wasn't having the copious nasal discharge I've had with the only other sinus infection I've had, but my ears were all stuffed up and my sinuses were so painful it hurt if I lightly brushed my face. My teeth hurt. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and given antibiotics, prescription nasal spray and told to get allergy medicine and saline nasal wash.

I hit Walgreens for my meds, easily found the allergy stuff and was shocked at the enormous selection of saline nasal washes. There were special bottles, sprays, neti pots... Hmmm, neti pots. I'm always intrigued by the gross. I've watched videos of people using them. Yep, the neti pot is my choice.

I got home and took my first doses of prescription meds and an allergy pill. I figured I'd put off the neti pot because it would probably just flush out the nasal spray that almost instantaneously relieved a huge amount of my sinus pressure. The headache never went away, but the extreme pressure was gone for a few hours. When I felt it building again, I figured it was time. I watched a few "how to" videos on youtube. Dis. Gus. Ting.

I mixed up my saline powder in lukewarm water, inserted the spout into my right nostril, tilted my head, gagged and nearly drowned gulping saline through my nose. Fantastic. I bought the darn thing, I'm giving it another go. This time I tilted my head far enough forward that throat drainage was impossible. I breathed through my mouth. The sensation isn't quite like vomiting, but it is equally unpleasant. But just for a second. Then it is just weird; you are pouring water into one nostril and having it come out the other. Then I repeated the process with the other nostril. Then I blew my nose and spit a bunch of post-nasal saline solution. And just when I thought I'd NEVER do that again, I realized the pressure was gone.

Thanks to the neti pot, I was able to work on Thursday. My headache was still annoyingly bad, but when the sinus pressure built up and I almost asked to go home around 2pm, I used the neti pot and was easily able to finish my day. I used it again before bed and slept all night.

This morning I still have a dull headache. I plan to use the neti pot whenever the pressure builds. I'm gonna take it easy this weekend and try to get rid of the headache, but at least I know I'll be able to accomplish all my usual weekend chores. The neti pot... I guess I'm a fan.

1 comment:

Eric said...

When i have sinus problem neti pot is my first choice. It gives me fast relief.I think Netipot is the best for sinus congestion.