Thursday, May 26, 2011

Old

Sniff, sniff, sob. I guess I'm the last to know, but it turns out that probably my favorite video game of all time- ET for the Atari 2600- is known as one of the worst video games ever. It was so hated that there are rumors that gobs of the unsold cartridges were destroyed and buried in a landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico. Well...

My family didn't even have an Atari 2600. I had to play Atari at Doug's house and the summer I was totally addicted to his ET game? He accused me of only being his friend so I could come over and play that game. That wasn't entirely true! I mean, I had to strategically plan my visits to times his younger brother wasn't around so I didn't have to compete for playing time. I think I had Greg's baseball and soccer schedules memorized so I could go search for Reece's Pieces and the parts of the phone so I could "phone home" and call for my ship. I loved that game. Apparently I was one of about ten people in the world who did.

I was hoping to find some remade edition of my beloved game so I could relive that glorious summer of 1983, but I guess it ain't happening. Oh, well. I suppose it would end up being like when I was soooo excited to find a plug into your TV version of Pitfall. How did a game that was totally awesome in the '80s become so incredibly boring in 2004? Twenty minutes of running through disappearing tar pits and hopping over scorpions? No thanks! It was so boring I ended up playing only a couple of times. I can't even remember if you can win or if you're just going for a high score.

I guess I need to accept that I'm old and not a gamer. I bought myself a Nintendo DS several years ago, but the only thing I've ever played on it is Sudoku. Old. My feet are too bad to play any of the interactive Wii games. Old. Instead, I'll cuddle into my recliner with my book and my dog and watch the birds and squirrels at the feeders. Uh, OLD!!!

No comments: