Thursday, June 24, 2010

15 Seconds of Fame

I have become something of a celebrity at the kids' day camp. I mean among the youngest, most impressionable campers, not the cool and sophisticated Over 8s. I was signing the kids in earlier this week and a little boy approached and very seriously stated "You work for The District." Um, what? "You work for The District." Uh, yeah, I guess I do. I have to admit that I've never once thought of the park district as "The District." I think The District sounds much cooler and I will use it from here on out!

His younger sister then approached and said "You have giraffe pee on your shirt." I laughed a little and assured her that my shirt was clean. I then made a comment about how if she was still there when I picked up the kids I might have giraffe pee on my shirt. She looked totally confused and the counselor started laughing at me. I looked down and realized the logo on my uniform shirt is the letter P with a giraffe head in place of the hole inside the P. Giraffe P. Ohhhh. Whoops. I made a potty joke and the kid didn't even get it or mean it that way.

The best was today. The District Kid approached me again this morning. He walked up and said "You work at the zoo." I said yes. He stuck out his hand. I was a little confused, but I went ahead and shook it. He looked at his hand, looked me in the eye and said "I'll never wash this hand again." Wow. Dramatic and a little embarrassing, but since it's quite likely I'll never hear those words again, I'm going to go ahead and feel flattered.

THEN, as I was getting into my car, another kid yells "Hey Logan, tell my mom that your mom works at the zoo! Tell her what animals she works with! Lions, right?" So yeah, to a few 6 and 7 year olds, I'm cool. Sweet!

No comments: