Sunday, December 9, 2012

Weekend Update

With any luck, I will return to work a week from today.  My foot is overall much better, but I still do have some pain in both my heel and below my pinkie toe on the top of my foot.  I've been trying to stretch and regularly change my shoes and inserts.  I'm still pretty nervous that the moment I go back to work my foot is going to flare like old times.  I really don't know what I'll do if the pain doesn't go away.  This week I stopped exercising after my foot flared badly following an exercise bike session.  I didn't use tension and didn't push myself, but I obviously overdid it and will have to put off the bike for a while longer.  I really believed I'd be completely better at this point so I'm pretty bummed. 

Gene was unexpectedly re-deployed at work this week.  It was a pretty big surprise because he just recently was moved to a new position and has been extremely busy.  However, his division was part of Research and Development and they had to make cuts.  Gene was very fortunate that he was picked up by another division rather than being laid off.  After the initial shock, he's very excited about the new job.  He'll be working at the proving grounds and it seems like his work hours will be more regular, the atmosphere will be more laid-back and he won't have to do much (if any) work at home.  One drawback is that he'll be working outside a lot more.  He's not crazy about any temperature extreme, but he won't have to work in rain or snow.

I was "re-elected" president of my zoo keeper group.  What that actually means is that nobody else wanted the job.  Our entire panel of officers ran unopposed.  I don't mind doing it, but it is hard to come up with fundraising ideas that don't negatively affect some other branch of the zoo.  We can't do anything that takes any real amount of money away from either the zoo or any other group affiliated with the zoo that is raising money.  We've come up with some GREAT ideas that could raise tons of money, but we aren't allowed to implement them.  I guess it forces us to be more creative, but creativity takes time. 

I get a free turkey from work every year.  I usually donate it because, blech, it's gross to cook, but this year I figured I have plenty of time.  The turkey is in the oven as I type.  I'm also planning on making mashed potatoes, stuffing and crescent rolls.  I made gravy once and the process was so disgusting that I probably won't ever make it again.  I bought a jar of turkey gravy at Walmart and will try not to think about how it was made :)  I dug and dug and dug, but couldn't find the stupid bag of giblets inside the turkey.  I found the neck, but I guess the giblets will be a surprise!  I seriously can't imagine where they are!?  I hope they weren't in there, but I don't think I can be that lucky. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.  Mystery giblets!

I was hoping for one last mini getaway during my time off, but this week is insane!  I have obligations every night except Monday.  I was thinking I could go somewhere overnight Monday, but I have a doctor appointment that I can't miss on Tuesday morning.  I guess maybe I'll just do my usual birding loop Monday.  I'm too scared to look at the weather forecast.  I hope it isn't snowing.  Welp, I best get peelin' potatoes.

No comments: