Saturday, February 6, 2010

Another vacation over

Sigh. It's the last day of my "forced vacation." We get E-time instead of paid overtime and are required to have our banked time under 80 hours before April 1st. This was the only full week still available so I took it at the last minute. I think I had maybe a week's notice before my time off and had nothing at all planned. It turned out to be a pretty great week, with the unplanned Legoland visit and then two days at Indiana zoos. I still have two 4-day weekends in March. Sadly, Spring Break is the first week of April, so taking the week off with the kids is costing me a week of vacation time rather than just getting to use up E-time. Oh well. Lots of time off is a good thing! This turned out to be a great week off.

I finally got the results of my MRI and they weren't great. So far I've only talked to my doctor on the phone, but he said my options are to wear an air cast for a while and see if that helps or I may have to have surgery. I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, but from what I understand, the plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue that goes over the arch of the foot and connects at the heel. Normal thickness of the band is 4mm and mine is 10mm. It's like the band is clenched up rather than stretching and elongating like it's supposed to. Normally, stretching and wearing arch supporting orthotics "fixes" this problem. For whatever reason, I'm well beyond that. The surgery would apparently partially cut through the thickened band, "releasing" it to be able to stretch normally. I would like to avoid surgery if at all possible. Duh. However, this foot pain has been the focus of my life for almost a year now. I would love to have it fixed. It is horrible. The doc's on vacation next week and I'll be gone for rhino training the following week so I have two weeks to figure out what I want to do. Um...

It's weird that it's suddenly Saturday and I have to do my usual laundry and grocery run. I have been doing laundry all week but it doesn't make sense to do the kids' laundry before I have all of their school uniforms or I'll have to do an extra load later. As far as the groceries, Logan likes to come along and push the cart. We usually have an early breakfast out and then head to Walmart. He likes it to be just the two of us while Gene and Kaylin sleep in. It's pretty flattering that Total Daddy's Boy wants time with me so I try to make our Saturday mornings work as often as possible :)

No comments: