Sunday, June 9, 2013

Back to the Grind

Blech.  I can't believe my long-awaited vacation is over and I'll be heading into work later this morning.  I don't have the equivalent of Post-Disney Depression (where the shock of being out of the magical world of Disney and back in the real world gives you a serious case of the blues), but I had such a great week and enjoyed myself so much I'm not ready for it to be over.  I want more time off with Gene and the kids.

Thursday and Friday I tried to take it easy and heal my feet as much as possible.  I got all of the vacation laundry done and all of the bags and extra trip stuff from both us and the kids put away.  I spent a lot of time playing with the dogs and cats.  I watched Game of Thrones and spent some time vegging in front of the computer.  I took care of some AAZK business I had been putting off and paid some bills.  In other words, I did the usual weekend chores, but I didn't overdo it with any of the extras.

We took Scout to PetSmart for his first ever grooming session.  He is either a total sweetie-pie or else a complete snippy jerk, so I wasn't sure how he'd behave for grooming.  I didn't know if he'd be great or if he'd need a muzzle and I'd need to go pick up sedatives from the vet.  According to the groomer he did really well!  She shaved all the long hair from his feet and trimmed up the long, feathering hair on his legs, chest and rear.  (Kaylin was surprised that he was missing his "butt drapes".)  He also got a nail trim and had his teeth brushed.  I had no idea what to expect, but he still looks like a long-haired dachshund- just a much neater and more trimmed-up version.  All of the mud this year and a very low to the ground, long-haired dog have not combined well.  I spent way too much time bathing Scout and brushing mud out of his coat.  I should have had him groomed months ago!

Logan finally had his first baseball game yesterday.  His first two games were rained out (or maybe the other team forfeited one?) so he was very happy to actually play.  He pitched the first three innings and then caught the last two.  Logan did great.  I was really glad that if he threw a bad pitch he didn't get flustered and then get worse, he composed himself and soldiered on.  It was only the first game so I probably shouldn't judge yet, but I think that once again Logan is one of the best players on his team.  This isn't a brag, it's a shocking truth.  I still don't see how a child with Gene's and my DNA can be good at sports.  It doesn't make sense :)  I still think many of the other kids will catch up with him in a few years.  Logan works hard and he IS good, but what he has over most of the other kids is an incredible awareness of the game.  He knows exactly what is going on at all times and if the ball comes to him he's ready to catch it and throw it to the appropriate place.  Overall, the kids are getting better, but most of them are still shocked when the ball comes at them and have no idea where to throw it once they have it. 

Saturday, Kaylin went to the Moss Avenue sales with Kira and her family, so after the game, Gene, Logan and I went to see the new Star Trek movie.  The new Star Trek movies sort of remind me of the "new" Batman movies.  Where Batman goes from the old Pow! Bam! silliness to the dead serious Dark Knight, Star Trek goes from the corny original cast movies to a cooler version with more action and danger.  Both versions are fun and enjoyable, but the new versions likely appeal to a much wider crowd.  I guess they're a little less geeky sci-fi and a lot more action-adventure. 

Sigh.  I guess I better get off the computer and restart my workout and stretching program.  I also have a large load of laundry in the dryer and need to pack a lunch and get to work early to do some AAZK stuff.  Back to the grind...

No comments: